There’s one thing that's been shown to make you 25% happier.
It’s been shown to boost your immunity, reduce anger , disappointment and frustration.
It’s even been shown to heal illness and decrease pain.
What is that magical thing?
It’s GRATITUDE .
One of my favorite authors Brene Brown writes in her book , The Gifts of Imperfection :
“Without exception, every person I interviewed who described living a joyful life or who described themselves as joyful, actively practiced gratitude and attributed their joyfulness to their gratitude practice. And both joy and gratitude were described as spiritual practices that were bound to a belief in human interconnectedness and a power greater than us.”
I can tell you from experience that amazing things happen when you make Gratitude a big part of your Life.
Research has revealed several benefits of a daily Gratitude practice. These include:
- Opening the door to new relationships- saying Thank You to someone and acknowledging what they have done for you often leads to a deepening of the friendship and new opportunities.
- Improvement in Physical health - Grateful people have fewer aches and pains and are more likely to take care of their health. They exercise more often and generally take better care of themselves.
- Better sleep- writing in a gratitude journal before bed improves the duration and quality of sleep.
- Improvement in Mental Health - regular gratitude practice reduces toxic emotions and reduces stress. Even in times of crisis, acknowledging what you are grateful for can foster resilience.
There are simple ways to infuse Gratitude into your life.
- Keeping a Gratitude Journal - taking stock of your life before bedtime and writing 5 things you're grateful forever night.
- Write a letter of gratitude to someone who’s made a difference in your life. A few years ago,I decided to do just that. I wrote letters to some of my old teachers telling them how grateful I was to have had them mold me at such a young age.
- Appreciate that there is a Higher Power guiding your life. Appreciate the rain showers that water the grass, and the sound of the waves as they crash on the shore.
- Remind yourself that whatever you focus on expands. When you focus on gratitude and positivity, you will get more of that in return.
Remember Gratitude always brings beauty into your life.
What are you grateful for today?